What's On My Mind Today?

"You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will be as one" --John Lennon

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Children's Books

As long as I can remember, I have always liked reading Dr. Seuss books. They are fun and whitty. I think my favorite has to be Green Eggs and Ham. Adam, the little boy I nanny, loves The Cat in the Hat.

The first book I remember reading all by myself was Mr. Pine's Mixed Up Signs by Leonard Kessler. I remember reading this book over and over and over again. I loved it. I also remember reading a lot of the old Little Golden Books. They were great. Another favorite book was Mickey and the Magic Grinder. I think this is the name of it. I did search for it on the internet but could not find it. Does anyone remember it?

I was introduced to a new author not long ago. Peter H. Reynold has written a cute little book called The Dot. It is a cute story about a little girl named Vashti who is sitting in her art class after everyone has left. Her teacher comes up to her and asks where her drawing is. Vashti told her teacher she can't draw but her teacher ends up convincing her to do something. Vashti puts a dot on the paper and her teacher asks her to sign it. When Vasti comes back to class, she sees her dot in a frame behind the teachers desk. This inspires her to draw. Find out more by picking the book up and reading it. It will really make you smile. I think it is a must have for all classrooms.

So, tell me what your favorite childrens book or author is. I want to know, just in case I haven't heard of it. What is the first book you remember reading as a child or being read to? What are your favorite book and childhood memories?

Happy reading!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Okay...so I'll start.

    My fondest memory of my mother reading to us as children was the summer between Kindergarten and 1st grade. She started to read The Hobbit to us and we fell in love with the story so much that she went ahead and read The Lord of the Rings to us too. Every summer from that point till about high school, my mother read JRR Tolkien to us.

    To this day, when i read them to myself, I still have my momma's character voices in my head. Funny how that happens, huh? I actually found myself wondering why Gollum and Tree Beard didn't sound just right when Peter Jackson did the LOTR's trilogy movies. :)

     
  • At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm dating myself but my favorite books when I was a kid were, Little Women and the Secret Garden. I also vividly remember learning to read Dick and Jane when I was in 1st grade. I've been off and running ever since and still love to read!

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Reading is so much fun, isn't it? I have actually almost been late to meetings and such because I just couldn't put my book down. LOL. I keep telling myself, "just one more page and I'll put it down." Hehe.

    I have never read Little Women but I did like the Secret Garden. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home