What's On My Mind Today?

"You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will be as one" --John Lennon

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Satire Anyone?

Okay, I don't like to admit it, but I read Romance Novels. No, not the trashy Harlequin novels with the half naked men on the cover, but the ones that actually have a story to them and only a bit of sex. But I have come to the conclusion that, no matter what period, all romances are similar. There are certain things said and done in parts of these books that make me laugh. And sadly most of them revolve around the sex scenes, especailly in the historical romances. Many times, these novels take place in London in the early 1800s. Women did not wear underware (for obvious reasons...if you can't figure it out...email me) which made it very easy to steal away and have sex anywhere they wanted, even in carriages. I was reading a book not to long ago and the two main characters (male and female) were riding in a carriage having sex, fully clothed. I understand how this can be, unbuttoned fly...skirt around the waist. But no where in these books does it state the obvious. The confines of these carriages were very small...knees touched knees.

But that's not what bothers me. It's the fact that no one ever has visible love stains on their clothing (yes, maybe a cloak here or there). And the fact that, sans undergarments, nothing is running down the women's legs after their trift. Okay, so maybe that's a little disturbing to read in a blog. Whatever. Think people.

I know these books are supposed to be read for pleasure and I do enjoy reading them. They are fantasies that we can live while reading them. But I have come to the conclusion that I am going to write a Satire based on all the Romance Novels I have read. I think this is a great idea and can't think of anyone doing this before. I think it will be a hoot. I already have my mom doing research. LOL.

Till next time....

4 Comments:

  • At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know I know.....can I please pick your lovers names....I really think William and Monica would work.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Haha....too good. I'll have to pass that on to momma. LOL.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree totally! Why is that whenever there is a love story they leave out the morning breath after a night of drinking champagne, or the fact that your mascara is smeared and you look like a hooker with bad vision! Besides, when has any of us met a man that said all the right things at all the right moments and didn't turn out to be a jerk that was only out for the sex! Okay, maybe I should admit that I have been married for a decade and the romance wasn't all that great even in the beginning. It should would be nice to read a romance novel that left in a little more reality so it didn't make my life seem so inadaqate.

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    I think it would be nice to read a book (especially a romance) where the heroine doesn't end up getting married to the hero having a baby (or more) and the book doesn't end happily ever after. I want to read a book that reflects life. You know what I mean?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home